Tutorial: How to Make a Simple Bob Updo

Put a little bounce in your bob. 

styles for wavy hair bob updo

It’s no secret that we love bob haircuts. As one of the most popular looks of 2016, we love how this simple look can actually be switched up into several styles like creating a mini ponytail to a bob updoThis look is a great way to mix up your haircut as you play with some of your length, creating a style that is perfect for work or a night out. Read on to find out how to create this simple bob updo in seven steps.

Bring a Simple Bob Updo to Life


Start with clean hair.

To bring your bob to life, make sure that it’s freshly washed and ready for styling. We recommend using a volumizing combo, like the TRESemmé Beauty-Full Volume Pre-Wash Conditioner and the TRESemmé Beauty-Full Shampoo. This system will leave your hair soft and full of bounce.




woman with bob haircut

Brush out all tangles.

After washing and drying your hair, use a rattail boar’s bristle brush to detangle and smooth your hair. The more manageable your hair is, the easier it will be to bring your look to life.



woman with bob haircut brushing hair ends

Section your hair.

Use the tail end of your rattail boar’s bristle brush to section off hair to frame your face.


woman with bob haircut parting hair

Pin your hair back.

From there, take about 80% of that front section of hair and brush it back, while leaving the remaining 20% available to frame your face. Once you have your desired look, fasten the brushed back portion of hair into a half-up look with a few bobby pins.


woman with bob haircut pinning hair to create bob updo hairstyle



Twist and pin up remaining hair.

Next, take your remaining hair and twist it in the same way that you would if you were putting it into a butterfly clip. The only difference here is that again you will be using bobby pins to secure the look. By using bobby pins instead of another clip, you will obtain an effortless, less busy look that’s more focused on your hair than an accessory. If you’re looking to jazz it up a bit, by all means opt for a bejweled set of bobbys or maybe even a tortoise shell clip.


woman with short hair creating bob updo by pinning hair up



Curl front tendrils of hair.

All that’s left for your bob updo is the front portion of hair that you left out of your pinned back ‘do. To really knock this look out of the park, grab a 1-inch curling iron or a curling wand to create airy curls to frame your face. Before you begin curling, prep your locks with some of the TRESemmé Get Sleek Heat Protection Spray to protect against high temps.






woman with short hair curling hair with a curling iron




And just like that you have completed a super simple, but totally gorgeous rendition of your bob updo. To keep everything in it’s proper place, use some of the Bed Head by TIGI Masterpiece Shine Spray; you’ll get all day hold AND added shine. Sounds like a win-win to us.


woman wearing bob updo hairstyle


Slightly obsessed with the bob updo? Check out our article 5 easy updos for the weekend for instant inspo. 

Sign up to our newsletter and get exclusive hair care tips and tricks from the experts at All Things Hair.


All Things Hair on Instagram