Need a new hair regimen?
Need a new hair regimen?

Hair Facts: 60 Amazing Hair and Beauty Industry Statistics

All the hair and beauty industry statistics you were looking for.

Are you looking for hair and beauty industry statistics? We have them all here. In this article, we grouped very interesting facts about hair that you probably didn’t know. The following statistics are mind-blowing! 

1. 80% of women wash their hair two to three days a week in the United States.

2. 34% of women use hair treatments in addition to shampoo and conditioner.

Need a new hair regimen?

3. Hair masks and scalp treatments have doubled their revenues in 2021 compared to 2019.

4. The haircare category revenue grew by 8% in 2020 compared to 2019.

5. In 2021 hair product sales increased by 55% compared to 2020.

6. The average person has between 100,000 and 150,000 strands of hair on the scalp.

7. Natural blonde hair has more hair than brown, black, or redheads.

8. Blonde hair has an average of 150,000 hair strands.

9. Brunettes have approximately 100,000 hair strands.

10. Redheads have approximately 90,000 hair strands.

11. Hair is the fastest-growing tissue in the body.

12. Each hair strand’s thickness is around .016 to .05 mm.

13. People shed between 40 to 150 strands of hair per day.

14. The main component of hair is keratin.

15. Males’ hair grows faster than females.

16. 35 meters of the hair fiber is produced every day on the human scalp.

17. The average human will grow 590 miles worth of hair during their lifetime.

18. 90% of the hair on your head grows at the same time the other 10% is resting.

19. 40% of women experience hair loss through menopause.

20. 50% of men experience some kind of baldness by age of 50.

21. Balding means losing 50% of your hair.

22. A common side effect of medications is hair loss.

23. Thyroid imbalance and iron deficiency also cause hair loss.

24. Newborn humans are born with about five million hair follicles.

25. There are 1000 active hair follicles per square centimeter, and this number drops as you age.

26. All hair follicles are formed when we were five months in the womb.

27. Hair turns gray due to lower melanin production in the hair follicle.

28. Gray hair is the result of age or stress.

29. When hair follicles stop making melanin, they will never produce colored hair again.

30. A single strand of hair can support up to 3 ounces of weight.

31. Hair grows .3 to .5 mm per day, .25 cm or 0.5 inches per month, and 15 cm or 6 inches per year.

32. Hair absorbs 30% of its weight when in water.

33. Each hair strand has a protective outer layer called the cuticle.

34. The cuticle lays flat with healthy hair, but it opens with damaged hair.

35. The cortex is the middle layer of a hair strand and is composed of long proteins twisted together.

36. Melanin is in the cortex layer.

37. The innermost layer of hair is called the medulla.

38. The medulla layer is usually not present in fine hair.

39. Keratin is composed of an amino acid called cysteine.

40. The only part of the hair that isn’t dead is the hair inside your scalp.

41. Natural or Afro hair grows slower and is more fragile than European hair.

42. Asian hair grows the fastest and has the best elasticity.

43. Natural or Afro hair and European hair are more prone to balding than Asians.

44. Asian hair is mostly always straight and black or dark brown.

45. The cause of dandruff is a fungus called Malassezia Globosa.

46. The word shampoo comes from the Hindi word, champna, which means “to knead.”

47. Women tend to lose more hair after giving birth.

48. Most shampoos are acidic to restore the pH of damaged hair and smooth the cuticle.

49. It takes about seven years to grow your hair to the waist.

50. It takes about three years to grow to your shoulders.

51. The only way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off.

52. The first commercial shampoo was introduced by Drene in the 1930s.

53. 95% of right-handed people grow in a clockwise direction.

54. Hair is stronger than a copper wire of the same diameter.

55. The size of a hair follicle determines the thickness and length of hair.

56. Each hair follicle contains its own muscle, nerve, and blood supply.

57. Hair grows the fastest during the summer, when you’re asleep, and between the ages of 16 to 24.

58. The average man spends 37 days of his life shaving.

59. Facial hair grows faster than any other type of body hair.

60. The first hair dye was invented in 1907 by French chemist Eugene Schueller, and it was called Aureole.

Sources: Trafft, NPD, workbench, Philip Kingsley, Science Direct, healthline, hairfinder.com, healthforum, Character Media, WebMD, Madison Reed, Self, whoinvetedit.

Prev Article
Next Article
Need a new hair regimen?
Decoration image
Decoration image
Hair Quiz
All Things Hair
All Things Hair US
Need some style inspo? Let's chat! I'm Athena, your personal Hair Assistant.
Chat with All Things Hair in Messenger