Break out your shoulder pads and get ready to #throwback to the ’80s as curly perms are officially back in fashion. If you’ve just stepped out of the salon with a head full of fresh curls from this treatment, you might be wondering exactly what your new permed hair care routine entails. Covering everything from the best products for permed hair, to your essential mane-tainance tips, we’ve got the lowdown on preserving your curly perm with the help of All Things Hair hairstylist Elena Diaz.
Sharing her expert advice on the subject, get ready to take notes as Elena decodes the ins and outs of permed hair care, from wash to wear.
Permed Hair Care Tips
Read on to find out the best hair care tips for permed hair.
- How to care for permed hair during the first 48 hours
- How long do you have to wait to wash your hair after getting a perm?
- What are the best products to use for permed hair care?
- How to style permed hair after a shower
- What are the best tools to style permed hair with?
- Can I put my hair up after getting a perm?
- Wondering how to sleep with permed hair?
1. The First 48 Hours: Get to know your perm.
Whatever your hair type, length, and texture, it’s important to have a grooming routine that accommodates freshly-treated curls. The first step? Speak to your stylist. Be sure to ask them as many questions as possible about permed hair care and follow their advice. The stylist that treated your hair knows the texture and condition of your hair pre and post-treatment and will give you bespoke feedback on what your next styling steps are.
2. Don’t wash your hair too soon.
One of the biggest faux pas you can make with permed hair care is washing your locks too quickly after the treatment. “Always take your hairdresser’s advice,” recommends Elena. “It’s common that after a perm, you will need to wait 48 hours before washing your hair.”
3. Find the right hair products.
Perming the hair is a chemical process and as such, it can leave your locks feeling dry or damaged. To combat this, use products that nourish your locks from root to tip, helping them to maintain a healthy appearance.
When washing your tresses, use formulas that help restore any damage to the appearance of your hair caused by the perming process. TRESemmé Repair + Protect 7 Shampoo and Conditioner strengthen hair inside and out. Visibly repairing while cleansing, it will leave your curls looking healthy and moisturized.
When curating your styling kit, make sure to include tools that specifically cater to curly-haired needs. Elena Diaz reveals, “You should treat permed hair the same way you would treat natural waves. By using products and styling techniques designed specifically for curls.”
“You should treat permed hair the same way you would treat natural waves. By using products and styling techniques designed specifically for curls.”
Dove Style+Care Curls Defining Mousse, for example, will give your waves structure and hold, while hydrating them. Reducing the appearance of frizz.
4. Create a new styling routine.
According to Elena, when it comes to styling, “It’s totally up to you! It’s crucial to treat permed hair the same way you would if your curls were formed naturally.” If you’re concerned about drying permed hair after washing, the hair plopping method is a great way to form your curls overnight and minimize the appearance of frizz. Alternatively, if you don’t have time to air dry, read our step-by-step guide on how to use a diffuser to create definition and volume.
5. Find the best hot tools.
Step away from your straighteners. Fresh curls need a few key tools to cover all their styling bases.
- For longer or thicker hair: If you’re using a hairdryer, add the diffuser attachment. This will direct the heat to exactly where you need it, causing less friction on the hair cuticle, creating a frizz-free finish.
- For shorter or finer hair: If you opted for a perm to add volume, use a small round brush when blow-drying. This will help lift the hair at the root and give you the appearance of fuller tresses.
6. Don’t be overly cautious.
Absolutely! Don’t be afraid of misshaping or re-structuring your new curls. As this treatment is permanent, your new waves are locked firmly in place. Giving you an endless new realm of styling possibilities.
7. Nail down your sleep routine.
If you’re new to permed hair care, sleeping with curls can be pretty daunting. “To avoid waking up with messy or tangled tresses, try sleeping with your hair tied in a silk scarf or on a silk pillowcase,” recommends Elena. This trick will minimize the amount of friction on the cuticle (outside) of the hair, reducing the appearance of texture and frizz. Leaving you to catch some beauty sleep, without worry about a bad case of #bedhead. You’re welcome!