If we’re being honest, dandruff is one of those hair issues that sneakily creeps in and makes an appearance in your scalp and on your hair without warning. When it pops up, it not only comes with flakes and an itchy scalp but embarrassment and discomfort, too. It stops all of your potential hair plans, and may feel like you need to cover up your head to hide your flakes from the world. But that doesn’t have to be the case. With so many best dandruff shampoos for women on the market, you have endless options for treating your dandruff.
What You Need to Know Before Finding the Best Dandruff Shampoo for You
Surprisingly dandruff is caused by many different factors that do not indicate a lack of clean hair or poor hygiene. “Dandruff is a common scalp condition in which small pieces of dry skin flake off of the scalp. If you have dark hair or are wearing dark colors, you may notice the flakes on your hair or shoulders. Dandruff may also make your scalp itch,” the American Academy of Dermatology reports. Even though the specific cause of dandruff isn’t exactly identified, there are a few common suspects known for causing the condition:
1. Seborrheic Dermatitis: “For most people, dandruff does not require medical attention,” the American Academy of Dermatology stated. However, sometimes “the flaking and itching that appears like dandruff is actually a medical condition, such as seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, fungal infections of the scalp, or eczema,” the AAD explains.
2. Stress: Stress sends hormones out of balance, even the ones that produce oils in your scalp. If you’re experiencing dandruff, it may be because you’re making too much sebum that causing fungus to grow in the scamp and flake.
3. Irritation From Hair Care Products: Believe it or not, the products that you use can also be the source of dandruff. Some products contain irritating and inflaming ingredients that don’t play nicely with your specific skin—even your scalp. Look for sensitive shampoos and products so that it doesn’t further affect your scalp.
4. Dry Scalp: Dandruff can also be a result of a dry scalp. This tends to appear more during the colder months, hello seasonal dandruff, because your scalp is exposed to harsher conditions, and it’s stripped of moisture from extra hot showers and heat. If you find that your scalp is dry, add hair oil to re-hydrate your scalp.
If you experience any of the above causes, then it’s time to find a dandruff shampoo for women that works best for you. Before you add shampoo to your cart, look for ingredients like tea tree oil and salicylic acid. The tea tree oil will reduce itchiness and any growing fungus in your scalp. The salicylic acid banishes dry skin and helps to stop flaking.
The Best Dandruff Shampoos for Women
1. Dove Dermacare Scalp Soothing Moisture Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Instead of using a harsh shampoo, swap your current wash out for a gentle option. This anti-dandruff shampoo from Dove cleanses your scalp and removes flakes without stripping your hair of essential oils. The shampoo contains a pH-balanced formula, with a blend of oils that leave the hair hydrated and the scalp soothed.
2. Dove Dermacare Scalp Invigorating Mint Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo stimulates your scalp with a fresh mint scent. Unlike harsh shampoos that irritate your scalp more, the Dermacare line soothes and adds moisture that your scalp needs. The added Pyrithione Zinc treats dandruff and keeps the scalp’s moisture balanced.
3. Suave Professionals Anti-Dandruff 2-in-1 Dry Scalp Shampoo & Conditioner
Cut your wash time in half with this 2-in-1 anti-dandruff shampoo. The shampoo balance your hair’s pH levels to help remove dandruff. It cleanses your hair, moisturizes, and soothes all at once. And don’t worry, the shampoo and conditioner combination still clears flakes away without being too harsh on your hair.
4. Love Beauty and Planet Sulfate-Free Turmeric & Tonka Essence Shampoo
If your dandruff is a result of a dry and itching scalp, grab the Turmeric & Tonka Essence Shampoo for some relief. Not only will the shampoo remove flakes, but it also treats frizz and leaves the hair cleansed and smooth. The added turmeric will soothe inflammation that makes dandruff flare-up.
5. RE-fresh Scalp Care Sea Mineral & Hydrate Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo is formulated with salicylic acid to repair and nourish your hair, starting at the scalp. These nourishing and healing properties help to fight dandruff. The shampoo is free from parabens and silicones, making it a natural choice—quite literally.
6. Bed Head by TIGI Resurrection Shampoo
This shampoo is full of cleansing and moisturizing benefits. Even though you’re experiencing dandruff, this shampoo will thoroughly cleanse your hair without adding to your inflamed scalp. The shampoo also heals your hair from the inside out and leaves it with a smooth and clean finish.
7. Bed Head by TIGI Reboot Scalp Shampoo
The Reboot Scalp Shampoo, well, reboots your scalp. It resets it so that your scalp thrives, creating healthy hair. The shampoo is crafted with a specific Conditioning Complex that helps the scalp retain moisture, eliminating itchiness.
8. RE-fresh Scalp Care Coconut & Soothe Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
The RE-fresh Scalp Care Coconut & Soothe Anti-Dandruff Shampoo leaves your hair feeling fully refreshed and clean without causing more irritation and dryness that makes dandruff flare-up.
9. Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter Shampoo
For hair experiencing dandruff, it’s essential to make sure that your scalp and strands stay moisturized. The almond and shea butter in this shampoo, adds vital oils to the scalp to remain balanced and non-irritated.
10. Suave Professionals Coconut Oil Damage Repair Shampoo
This shampoo is infused with pure coconut oil to help deeply moisturize your scalp. It cleanses your hair to remove any dandruff flakes while repairing other signs of hair damage. You will begin to see visible results in three uses, so consistency is key!
11. Suave Professionals Honey Infusion Strengthening Shampoo
Honey is a great anti-inflammatory property that soothes irritation. It’s also a source of hydration. This shampoo infuses honey into the formula so that it straightens the hair while it treats and soothes the irritation caused by dandruff.
12. SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
SheaMoisture’s Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Shampoo clarifies the hair and removes the build-up in the scalp to prevent dandruff from forming. This shampoo is excellent for those with kinky, curly, or wavy natural hair types. Not only will you prevent dandruff, but you will also moisturize your hair and stop breakage and shedding.
13. Love Beauty and Planet Radical Refresher Tea Tree Oil & Vetiver Shampoo
The Love Beauty and Planet Radical Refresher Tea Tree Oil & Vetiver Shampoo is formulated with tea tree oil to cleanse your scalp and hair from dandruff gently. The tea tree oil will also detox your scalp from any fungus and bacteria that contribute to dandruff.
14. RE-fresh Scalp Care Apple Cider Vinegar Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
The apple cider vinegar in this shampoo removes all traces of itching. You’ll want to shake the shampoo before each use to ensure that the vinegar is mixed into the shampoo.
15. RE-fresh Scalp Care Honeysuckle & Cleanse Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo relieves dandruff and itching with salicylic acid. The honeysuckle leaves a light scent without causing any other irritation.
16. Suave Professionals Anti-Dandruff 2-in-1 Itchy Scalp Shampoo & Conditioner
The Suave Professionals Anti-Dandruff 2-in-1 Itchy Scalp Shampoo & Conditioner is filled with actives that help to keep the scalp and hair clean and also free from dandruff. It’s also gentle enough to use daily, so don’t worry about cousin irritation bc it keeps your scalp’s pH in balance.
The Bottom Line When It Comes to the Best Dandruff Shampoos for Women
Dandruff is one of those hair issues that no one wants. But, if you find yourself dealing with dandruff, there are solutions. All you need is a good dandruff shampoo for women that helps to soother your scalp and cleanse all of the flakes and dry skin away.