Learn how to banish signs of damaged hair now!
Let’s face it: nobody wants dry, damaged hair. Not only can really dry hair look unruly, but it also feels rough, too – which is definitely not how we want our hair to be! But don’t fret if you’re locks aren’t in tip-top condition: because there are things you can do to limit (and even help restore) the signs of damaged hair.
So, if you want to discover what causes dry, damaged hair, simply keep on reading. Plus, don’t forget to watch the above video, where I chat to Unilever Research and Development Manager Peter Bailey, to find out how the Nexxus Emergencée range can help with damaged manes!
Causes of dry, damaged hair
Lots of things can contribute to dry and damaged strands, but these are the main causes to watch out for:
- Brushing your hair too rigorously.
- Changes in – or extreme – weather conditions can wreak havoc with your hair.
- Tying your hair too tightly with a hairband, or even braiding it too tightly.
- Rubbing your hair too vigorously with a towel to dry it.
Signs of dry, damaged hair
1. Frizz: Lots of things can make your hair appear frizzy, including genetics and the weather, but one of the main culprits is having dry, damaged hair.
2. Brittle texture: As seen in the hair diagram above – which includes images taken from under the microscope – virgin hair shafts are smooth, while damaged ones are frayed and bumpy.
3. Dull hair: Dry, damaged hair often looks dull and lacklustre. This is because when hair is dry or damaged, the cuticles (or shafts) are flapped up, and therefore, light cannot be reflected properly on the hair surface.
4. Flat, lifeless locks: Hair that’s damaged or dry is often much harder to style and manage. You won’t be flaunting bouncy, voluminous locks if your strands aren’t looking and feeling healthy!
5. Split ends: This damage can occur due to everyday wear and tear, but the usual suspects are things like styling, friction from brushing, excessive use of heated tools, and in some cases, hair treatments like bleaching.
How to help repair dry, damaged hair
Damaged and weakened hair can be the result of a broken protein structure within individual hair strands. While you can’t technically repair a split end (unless, of course, you cut it off!), you can make your damaged hair shaft appear smoother. To do this, you need to add some much needed moisture back into dry ends, by using the right products. Enter: the Nexxus Emergencée Damage Recovery System!
The Nexxus Emergencée range includes a whole host of incredible products, such as the Nexxus Emergencée Rebalancing Shampoo, Nexxus Emergencée Restoring Conditioner, Nexxus Emergencée Refortifying Leave In Creme, and the Nexxus Emergencée Restoring Masque. All of these products can help reinforce broken protein structures, to strengthen hair and help prevent breakage. How? Well, these clever-working products contain molecules that penetrate the hair fibre to bond the damaged protein structure together, and others that coat and cushion the outside of it to help make it more resilient.
Want to find out more about the Nexxus Emergencée range? (Of course, you do!) Then don’t forget to watch the video above to find out exactly how this amazing hair care system works!