How to make short hair wavy tutorial: 4 ways
As one of the easiest ways to give cropped tresses a ‘woke up like this’ finish, we don’t blame you for wondering how to make short hair wavy. Not only have lobs and bobs risen in popularity this year, they’ve also opened up a new world of styling possibilities.
It’s the perfect balance of a done yet undone style, so if you haven’t mastered how to make short hair wavy, we suggest you study the tutorials below, sharpish.
How to curl short hair with a straightener
Protect your tresses.
This style requires heat so it’s key to protect your hair from damage by using the VO5 Heat Protect Spray before you start styling.
It features a heat-activated formula to make styling easier while leaving your hair soft, shiny and ready to be curled.
Section and curl.
Section your hair and clip. This will allow you to access all layers of your tresses and make styling much easier.
Use your straighteners curl small sections of hair by slowly twisting them away from the face. Leave the ends uncurled if you prefer a more relaxed, undone finish.
Complete this process by working from the bottom layers of your hair to the top and don’t spend too much time perfecting each curl. The more uneven your hair looks – the better!
Comb your curls.
Turn your curls from tight to tousled by simply running your fingers through your hair.
Start at the roots and gently shake small sections of hair, carefully separating any strands that need loosening up a little.
Finish with hairspray.
Give your waves a spritz of the TONI&GUY Tousled Texture Creation Hairspray to seal in your waves.
This lightweight holding spray will still give your tresses definition and natural movement while leaving you with an easy, un-fussy finish.
Voila! You’ve now mastered how to make short hair wavy with a straightener!
How to use a curling wand on short hair
Now it’s time to learn how to use a curling wand on short hair. And to walk you through the process, we’ve enlisted the help of our fave Instagramers Lorna, Literally. Just click the video above to get started.
How to use a curling wand on short hair step-by-step:
- Before you learn how to use a curling wand on short hair, ensure you prep your tresses for styling by using a heat protectant. This will help guard your hair from any heat damage caused by your heated styling tools. Our current crush is on the TRESemmé Heat Defence Spray, so pick up a bottle and get spraying!
- To help add volume to your hair, squirt a tennis ball-sized amount of the VO5 Volume Mousse into your hand, and then smooth it over your strands, ensuring that you’ve distributed it evenly throughout your mane.
- Once you have fully coated your hair with mousse, it’s time to activate it using heat. Simply grab your hairdryer and blowdry your tresses to unleash the volume boosting properties within the mousse.
- Now your hair is dry and prepped, place a couple of inches of your hair into your curling wand. Slowly turn it away from your face, so that your hair loosely wraps around the barrel of the tong. Hold for a couple of seconds, then release. Editor’s tip: Leave the ends of your hair a little straight. Trust us, this will help your short hair lie better when it’s curled!
- After curling your entire head of hair, and having allowed them to cool, gently run your fingers through your mane to separate them. This will make your curls appear fuller and also provide natural-looking movement.
- Et voila: a luscious set of curls in your short mane – see, we told you it was easy! To give your strands an extra shine boost, just spray your finished wavy ‘do with some of the TIGI Bed Head Masterpiece Shine Hairspray, to help hold your hairstyle from morning to night.
How to curl short hair without heat
Not a fan of curling wands or straighteners? If you’ve got damaged, dry or coloured hair it’s crucial to also keep a no-heat styling option in your beauty arsenal.
This means you can, if needed, give your hair a break from heated styling tools, while still creating beautiful, loose waves. The good news is, you can learn how to make short hair wavy without any heat.
How to curl short hair without heat step-by-step:
- Throwback to your school days and try plaiting your hair overnight to create gentle waves. Just remember, bigger braids will create subtle waves, while multiple plaits will create smaller curls.
- Seal the look in as normal with the TONI&GUY Tousled Texture Creation Hairspray and no-one will be able to tell the difference.
- Take a bow, ladies, you’ve now learned how to make short hair wavy!
How To Get Festive Waves
View this post on Instagram
Calling all our long bob gals! Rock these gorgeous textured waves over the festive period with a little help from our @lumi_lise (and @toniandguyproducts sea salt texturising spray!) Swipe left for the video! 👈🏼 . . . . #hairinspo #longbob #shorthair #shorthairgoals #hairgoals #hairinspiration #hairoftheday #hairdaily #hairspo #hairspiration #shorthairgirls #texturedwaves #wavyhair #waves