Learn how to turn those overnight braids into next-day waves!
Not blessed with naturally wavy hair? Don’t worry: you can totally fake it ’til you make it – and all without the need for any heated styling tools! How, you may ask? Through the help of beauty sleep, of course. What was once a myth has now become a fully-fledged reality – and we’re going to show you how it’s done. So, as you get yourself ready for bed, follow one of our 3 overnight tricks on how to make your hair wavy, then wake up and watch the gorgeous waves come tumbling down.
How to make your hair wavy: 3 Overnight methods
How to get wavy hair overnight: The twisted high bun
For effortless-looking loose waves, try styling your hair into a twisted high bun before you go to bed.
- Gather all of your hair into a high ponytail and twirl the end until it forms a twist.
2. Wrap the twist around the base of the ponytail and secure it with a hairband.
3. Spritz your hair with some water – this will dampen the twisted bun and help your strands form a wavy shape.
4. Sleep in your twisted high bun overnight.
5. In the morning, let your hair loose, and gently rake your fingers through the waves to separate them. Tip: Spritz your hair with some Toni&Guy Volume & Bounce Body Amplify Creation Hairspray (£7.49*) to help keep your waves looking bouncy all day long.
How to get wavy hair overnight: Low twisted buns
Styling your hair into low, twisted buns overnight is an easy way to wake up with model-worthy waves.
- After you’ve washed your hair with TRESemmé Perfectly (un)Done Weightless Shampoo and Conditioner (£4.99 each*), use a detangling comb to gently remove any knots from your mane.
2. Separate your hair into two equal sections. Then, working on one side at a time, gather your hair near the nape of your neck (as if you were creating a low ponytail) and twist your hair.
3. Wrap the twist around itself to form a bun.
4. Secure your bun with a hairband or a few bobby pins and repeat on the other side.
5. Sleep with your buns in (so difficult, we know!).
6. In the morning, gently unravel your buns, and then marvel at your luscious waves!
How to get wavy hair overnight: Braids
Braiding your hair before you go to sleep may be the oldest trick in the book, but it’s one that works! You’ll wake up with stunning waves, we promise!
- Divide your hair into 5-6 equal sections.
2. Working on one section at a time, begin to plait your hair following the traditional 3-strand braiding method. To do this, divide a section of hair into 3 smaller sections – take the left section and weave it over the middle section, before doing the same to the right section. Continue this method until you reach the end of your strands and secure with a hairband.
3. Repeat step 2 on all of the other sections of your hair.
4. Once you’ve braided all of your sections, lightly mist your hair with some water .
5. Sleep in your braids.
6. In the morning, release your braids and gently to loosen the waves with your fingers – and that’s all there is to it! Simple, right? Tips: if you want to give your waves a casually tousled texture, scrunch some VO5 Give Me Texture Rough & Sexy Sea Salt Spray (£3.99*) into the mid-length and ends after releasing all of your braids, et voila!
If you’re still itching to inject some wavy goodness into your locks, then you need to check out our Wavy Hairstyles page. Not only has it got loads of expert tips and tricks, but it’s also home to all the latest wavy #hairspiration!
*RRPs are Unilever suggested retail prices only, it is at the discretion of the individual retailers to set the actual price.