Rock a braided updo like a pro!
What you’ll need
Calling all Disney princess wannabes, we’ve got a fairytale-worthy look you’re going to fall head over glass slippers for. Chic, romantic and unquestionably stylish, a braided updo is one of the most elegant hair looks ever.
A step above classic ballerina buns and simple french braids, this suits-everyone style is slightly more complex to master but totally worth the effort. If you’re feeling like you might need a little extra help managing this beautiful updo, fear not as ATH are here to be your hair fairy godmothers.
Follow our easy step-by-step tutorial below to master the basic braided updo. And, if you’re feeling extra fancy, keep scrolling for a more decorated version of this gorgeous style.
6 easy steps to creating a braided updo
Start with dry shampoo.
Spray the TONI&GUY Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo towards your scalp and along the mid-lengths of your hair. Comb through with your fingers to make sure all the product has been absorbed.
Section your hair.
Use hair clips to keep the two front sections separate and away from the larger section at the back.
Braid the back section.
Next, plait down the length of the hair and secure it with a small, clear hairband. Fan out the braid by gently pulling it using both hands in an outwards direction.
Make a low bun.
Make sure the end of the braid is tucked under the bun so there are no loose ends. Gently tug or pull on the bun to move it into place and loosen any braided sections that are too tight.
Plait the remaining sections.
Make sure both pigtails look even and are not too tight, the braids need to be flexible so you can position them in the next step.
Wrap your braids around the bun.
Wrap the end of the braid back towards the top of the bun and secure it in place with a bobby pin. Repeat this step with the remaining braid on the other side of the bun.
Secure the final look with hairspray.
Finish the look by using the TRESemmé Firm Hold Hairspray to keep your coif creation in place even in damp or humid conditions.
And we’re done! You’re now ready to show off your beautiful braided updo.
Give the look a little something extra with this woven braided updo tutorial
This simple, yet elegant twist on the classic high bun will add a little pizzazz to any ensemble, pronto! So, get your ribbons at the ready, and read on for our simple step-by-step guide.
Now, don’t be fooled by its complex appearance, because this ‘do can actually be achieved in just 6 simple steps (yes, really!). So, keep on scrolling, and prepare to stun everyone with your incredible styling prowess!
How to get this look:
2. Next, gather your hair into a super high ponytail. This should sit on the middle of the top of your head.
3. Now take your coloured ribbon and tie it around the base of your ponytail.
4. Once you’ve done that, divide your ponytail into 3 equal sections, with one section including the coloured ribbon. Use these 3 sections to create a simple 3-strand braid (with the ribbon woven through it), securing your plait at the end with a clear hair elastic. If the ribbon exceeds the length of the braid, simply cut it at the bottom so that it’s the same length.
5. Then wrap your plait around the base of your ponytail until you’ve created your woven braided updo! Ensure that the end is tucked away under the bun, and secure your updo in place with a few bobby pins.
6. Before skipping off to showcase your new ‘do, remember to spritz some VO5 Firm Hold Hairspray over your bun at arms length, to help keep it wobble-free!