Here at All Things Hair, we’ve been thinking about the small changes we can all make to our beauty routines to be more sustainable – starting with our hair products.
A lot of shampoo bottles can actually be recycled and turned into something new, just check the packaging and make sure to clean them out before popping them in your recycling bin. However, another way to cut down your contribution to the problem is by upcycling.
Upcycling (turning used items into something new) is great for the planet but more importantly, it’s fun too! Here are a few easy ways that you can get crafty and transform your empty hair care bottles into something you can use again and again.
What Kinds Of Packaging Can Be Upcycled?
- All standard shampoo and conditioner bottles
- Hair mask tubs
- Hair wax pots
- Metal pomade tins
- Heat protect spray bottles
So, What Do I Need To Do?
Once you’ve used up all of the product inside, rinse out the bottles and allow them to dry. Then use scissors to carefully cut off the tops of the bottles to allow you to fit more inside.
What Can You Use Them For?
The real question here should be what can’t you use them for! We’ve shared photos of some of our favourite upcycling examples from Instagram above, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Shampoo bottles as vases
- Holders for make-up brushes, paint brushes or stationary
- Hair mask tubs for storing hair accessories, cotton pads or jewellery
- Tubs as planters for small plants like cacti or succulents
- Use old heat protect spray bottles to make a DIY room spray with essential oils or for natural cleaning products
And many more…!