Ladies, mark our words: spiral curls are here to stay! Just this month, numerous stars have coveted this playful, flirty look (we’re looking at you Pixie Lott and Bella Hadid) with high-fashion runways also giving this once out-dated style its seal of approval.
Want to get on board but not sure where to begin? Well, you’ll be pleased to know that we’re here to help. Yep, we’re going to show you how to get star-worthy spiral hair in 3 surprising ways, whether you’re working with or without heated styling tools! So just follow our easy hair hacks and prepare to be amazed…
How to do spiral curls: 3 easy methods to achieve the look
How to get tight spiral curls using a curling tong or wand
If you’re looking to take your straight hair to curly heights, you should either use a curling tong or wand. Curling tongs will give you flirty Flashdance-esque curls, while wands will give you looser spiral curls, a la Dirty Dancing!
So, wield your styling tool of choice and get ready to learn how to create seductive spiral ringlets, with these steps.
Wash your hair
Apply mousse and blowdry your hair
We bet you’ll want to know how to make your spiral curls last, right? Well, the secret lies with a volumising hair mousse, like the VO5 Volume Mousse!
Apply a golf ball-sized amount to the palms of your hands and evenly distribute it through damp hair. This will give your tresses the fabulous bounce this curly hairstyle needs, as well as a light hold. Oh, and it’ll also helps protect against damage caused by heated appliances – bonus!
Once you’ve done this, blowdry your hair to activate the mousse.
Section and curl
Now that your hair is dry, section it into 2-3 horizontal sections to prep it for curling. Then take your curling tool (preferably with a 1 inch barrel size) and wrap a 2-inch wide section of hair around it, from the root to the tips.
Remember: since you’re creating tight spiral curls, you will need to hold it on the iron for about 10 seconds.
Editor’s tip: If you’re using a curling wand to create spiral hair, follow the same steps. Just make sure to hold your hair tightly in place around the wand, to get the same effect.
Just keep curling
Continue to keep curling your strands in 2-inch sections, until you have a head full of beautiful bouncy curls.
When you’ve finished curling your tresses, don’t brush or run your fingers through them, unless you’re going for a loose spiral curl look!
Touch up and finish
Give your freshly created spiral ringlets a once over with the TIGI Catwalk Work It Hairspray to help seal in this shimmering style, as well as tame frizz and flyaways.
And there you have it! Spectacular spirals that’ll steal the spotlight at your next party. Easy peasy, eh?
How to make spiral curls with a straightener
Don’t believe us? Just wait and see! All you need is your favourite pair of straighteners and our step-by-step guide, below.
How to get the look:
1. Begin by misting your hair all over with your favourite heat protectant, then divide your strands into manageable sections — the thicker your hair, the more sections you should create.
2. Starting on the bottom half of your head, near the nape of your neck, grab a 2-inch section of hair and quickly smooth the straightener down the hair shaft.
To get ultra-bouncy results, you’ll need to follow a pull and twirl technique! So, gently pull at the ends of your hair, before twirling your hair into itself, towards your scalp. Hold in place for 7 seconds, before slowly pull back your straightener away and watch as your first spiral curl comes alive!
Editor’s tip: If you want a looser spiral curl, pull the straightener through your hair quickly, instead.
3. Repeat this action until your entire head is done.
4. Now just finish off with a generous spritz of the TIGI Catwalk Work It Hairspray and you’re all done. See? You did it, you total pro!
How to create spiral hair with flexi rods
Flexi rods have been around for what seems like forever, but they’re still super effective for creating spiral curls without heat. Distinguishable by their long, flexible, cushioned rods, they’ll allow you to achieve unapogoletically-big and beautiful ringlets overnight.
How to get the look.
1. Brush through towel-dried hair, before misting your mane with the TIGI S Factor Papya Leave-In Moisture Spray. This will help give your strands a big moisture boost and will leave them smelling delicious!
2. Divide your hair into small sections (about an inch thick), then wrap each section around a flexi rod in a spiral motion, making sure to roll it up towards your scalp.
Once you’ve fully wrapped your tresses, you’ll want to secure your flexi rod in place. Simply bend the rod at both ends in opposite directions, so that you form an “S” shape.
3. Repeat step 2 on the rest of your hair, until you’ve wrapped all of your strands in flexi rods. Then sleep with your flexi rods in to give your curls the optimal time to set!
4. In the morning, take them out one by one and spray some of the TIGI Catwalk Work It Hairspray through your hair. This extra dose will help tame frizz, flyaways and leave your hair shimmering!
For a looser look, run your fingers through your freshly curated curls. And there you have it: your heatless coils are complete! Don’t they look utterly sublime?!
Did you find this spiral curls hair tutorial useful? If you did, head over to our Curly Hairstyles page now, for even more awe-inspiring ‘dos! Go on, there are loads of pretty styles to try out, so what are you waiting for?