So, you’ve heard of a fishtail braid, right? Of course you have. What about bubble braids? Yep, them too. How about bubble fishtail braids? No? Well we just so happen to have spied this luscious hybrid hairstyle on none other than the lovely Lea Michele.
There we were, causally scrolling through Instagram when we spotted the Glee star looking incredible at an industry event. And while it was her eye-catching outfit that grabbed our attention, it was her intricate ‘do that make us stop and stare!
Okay, we know you want to see what all the fuss is about and we won’t hold you any longer. Just keep scrolling to see Lea’s latest hair styling masterpiece.
Lea Michele’s bubble fishtail braid
As we all know, the best way to show off a fancy new ‘do to the world is to debut it on Instagram – and that’s exactly what Lea has done, captioning the image ‘@armani NYC✨’.
But instead of opting for just a simple braided ponytail, the actress, singer and author upped her hair game by creating not only one braid but three (yes, three) different braids. Credit: @leamichele.
To get a better look at the actress’ bubble fishtail braid, we headed over to her hair stylists page for a close up of this triple braided ‘do. Credit: @sarahpotempa
How to create a bubble fishtail braid:
1. Pull your tresses into a high ponytail and secure with a hairband. Take a small section of hair from your ponytail and wrap it around your band, securing with a bobby pin.
2. Begin weaving a Dutch braid until you’re a third of the way down and secure, again wrapping a small section of hair around the band and pinning in place. This is now your first ‘bubble’ braid.
3. Now create a fishtail braid for the second section and secure. Yep you guessed it, wrap a piece of hair around the elastic once again.
4. For the final section create a standard 3-strand plait until the end of the ponytail and secure.
5. For the finishing touch, tug gently at the braids to build up loads of enviable volume.
Editor’s tip: To inject some extra oomph into your ‘do, sprinkle a little of the TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Plumping Powder into your hair before braiding. This lightweight powder absorbs easily to offer a natural matte texture, perfect for recreating Lea Michele’s bubble fishtail braid.
If this look is a little too advanced for your plaiting ability, you can always try your hand at some of the other woven looks on our Braids page. There you can find all the best celebrity-approved styles and how-to tutorials to aid in your styling journey.