The only thing we love more than a good hairstyle, is a good hairstyle with accessories! Whether it’s innovative use of bobby pins or floral headpieces, the more decorative, the better. But for a fail-safe choice of accessory, we always turn to the trusty bow. They’re classic, versatile, and can be made out of your hair. Yep, you read that correctly, because bow braid hairstyles are totally a thing, and they’re gorgeous!
Making great alternatives to traditional French or Dutch braids, bow braids add an ultra feminine touch to just about any look, and is super easy to achieve. So, if you’re keen to know how to style a bow braid, just keep reading!
How to create a bow braid: 3 ways to work it
Side bow braid with pearls
Want to create a standout look for your everyday ‘do? Then you need a bow braid hairstyle. Tutorials for these looks may be few and far between, but that’s where we come in – below we’ve crafted a few quick and easy steps on how to create a bow braid to start off your styling journey! Credit: @littlealicegrace
How to create DIY bow braid hairstyles:
1. On one side of your head, section your hair from your crown to your ear.
2. French braid this section to the tips and secure with a hair elastic so it doesn’t unravel. Now repeat this on the other side.
3. Take a small piece of hair from behind your French braid and circle it around your finger to create a loop.
4. Using a hair pin (not a bobby pin) thread the closed end through the top strand of your braid.
5. Thread your loop of hair through the end of the hairpin and gently pull the hairpin until you’ll see a second loop appear.
6. Remove the hairpin and you will have your first bow. Repeat steps 3-6 creating bows down your braid until you reach your desired style.
Want to know how to style a bow braid in an instant? Then pop in a few pearl hair accessories to your bow sections, for a touch of elegance.
Diagonal half-up braid
So, as you might have guessed, bow braids take a little practice to get right and you may need an extra pair of hands to perfect the look. However, when you do master it, you’ll have a look that can be worn to just about every occasion – although we think it’ll work especially well for prom night!
And if you have long tresses that you want to show off, we suggest opting for a half-up, half-down look, like the above Instagrammer. This hairstyle will help keep your strands out of your face, while providing a beautifully unique ‘do for your mane! Credit: @beachbum098
Bow braid bun
Want to effortlessly ooze romantic vibes for wedding season? Then this bow braid bun should be top of your list, as it exudes a soft, almost bohemian feel! Psst: don’t forget to incorporate a few fresh flowers through your braids, for an extra carefree element. Credit: @pollysbraids
To create this hairstyle, form 2 French braids, leaving a section about 2 inches wide down the parting of your hair and secure. You will use this to create your bows. Follow the steps above until you have created your bows, wrapping your French braids into a bun and securing with bobby pins.
Editor’s tip: If your hair is on the finer side, we suggest spritzing your mane with the TRESemmé Instant Refresh Cleansing Dry Shampoo. This will help give your tresses a little grip, making it easier to weave your plait (not to mention, it’ll also help rid you of greasy roots!).