How to use volume spray to give fine, flat hair serious body
Unsure how to use volume spray, or whether you need one at all? Of course, if your hair is naturally thin it’ll be more prone to looking limp but equally, thick-haired girls have to deal with their locks looking weighed down too, so a lot of us could benefit from a little plumping action.
Wondering how a volumising spray would slot into your current hair routine? Read on for all you need to know about how to use a volumising spray to get thick, full-looking hair in minutes.
How to use volume spray: A beginner’s guide
So, how do I use a volumising spray?
1. Spray it on your roots: Most volumising sprays come in aerosol format, so you use them much like you would a regular hairspray. Instead of spraying it everywhere though, we recommend applying in short bursts where you need the extra volume most, (which for most of us is usually the roots).
2. Use on wet or dry hair: The great thing about most volumising sprays is that you can use them on both dry and wet tresses, but if you really want to get the most out of your hair, you can do both for a dual action approach. First apply to damp hair right after washing, then go in again for round 2 with another spritz once it’s dry.
3. Use a round brush: If you’re applying to damp hair, we recommend following up by blow-drying with a hairdryer and a round brush. You will still get a boost if you let it air dry, but using a hairdryer can help create the desired extra lift. The outcome? Big, beautiful, fuller-bodied hair- and this is all before you’ve even styled it!
4. Don’t forget to lift your hair: On dry hair, you’ll want to lift up your hair and spray the under layers, before massaging into your scalp to zhuzh it up. Remember not to spray too close to the hair or it could be too concentrated and become sticky.
When should I use it?
Now you know how to use volume spray, follow these steps whenever your hair needs a boost. Volumising sprays are an everyday essential for many and once you’ve tried it and seen the difference it can make, the results are addictive!
Even if your hair is usually quite full, it’s also useful for when you want to give your hair more texture when creating hairstyles that require lots of volume, like a ’60s-inspired bouffant or a beehive.
Best volumising hair products for flat, fine or thin hair
You know how to use volumising hair spray, so which one should you buy? Here are our top-rated:
1. Dove Advanced Hair Series Volume Amplified Root Lift Spray
The Dove Advanced Hair Series Volume Amplified Root Lift Spray gets right to the root (excuse the pun) of your flat hair woes by adding lift exactly where you need it – at the roots.
Containing ultra-lightweight oxygen-fused conditioning ingredients, it can help moisturise flat, fine hair while adding up to 95% more volume for bouncy, advert-worthy hair.
2. VO5 Dry Texturising Spray
Have super straight hair? Sometimes all it needs is a little bit of added texture. The VO5 Dry Texturising Spray gives hair a messier, lived-in feel, so whether you’re wearing your hair up or down, it’ll just give your normal style a more bed head vibe.
3. TONI&GUY Body Amplify Creation Hairspray
If you’re only using hairspray at the end of your hair routine, you’re missing a trick! Look out for hairsprays like the TONI&GUY Body Amplify Creation Hairspray that help you create your style instead of just setting it in place.
Divide your hair into sections before curling or straightening and spray each section individually beforehand to build up volume. Then you can give it once last spritz when you’re done to set it all in place.
4. TIGI Bed Head Full Of It Volume Finishing Hairspray
The TIGI Bed Head Full Of It Volume Finishing Hairspray aims to preserve not just your hairstyle, but actually the volume too. It gives your hair that last bit of extra oomph to ensure you’re totally protected against the dreaded flatness, so that you can go bolder with your looks.