We’re about to give you a lesson in all things dry shampoo!
Ask any It girl what their hair product hero is and it’s likely that they will say dry shampoo. But while this may seem like a staple to some of you, others may be less sure on what this product is and how to use it. If this is something you’ve been wondering (but were too afraid to ask), our newbies guide on dry shampoo spray is here to help you out.
So, if you’re ready to brush up on your hair product knowledge, keep on reading to learn more about this cult hair product and see which ones we’re currently lusting over.
What is dry shampoo and how does it work?
What is it?
Dry shampoo is basically a god sent hair product! Why? Because it’s a dry substance that works to absorb oil from your scalp and hair, making it look and feel freshly washed again — all without the use of water. It can come in the form of an aerosol spray and even a powder dry shampoo.
So, why should I use it?
Want to know all the mane benefits that come with using a dry shampoo? Well, luckily for you we’ve outlined some reasons why you should use it, below.
- To be able to shampoo less: Are you guilty of over-washing your mane? If so, you need to know this – being OTT with shampooing can cause dryness. Instead, try using dry shampoo, as it’ll help your mane in between washes and give it a fresh-out-of-the-shower feeling.
- To give your blow out longevity: You’ve paid a bomb to get that blow out you’re slaying, but if you wash your hair tomorrow, it’ll be back to normal again. You know what we’re going to say? Reach for that dry shampoo spray, darling, because you can use it to extend the life of your blow out, too.
- To add volume: The best thing about this product? Not only does it make your mane feel fresher, but it also gives you a real body boost (which means you can make your fine or flat strands look extra voluminous!).
- To create Pinterest-worthy hairstyles: Has your attempt at recreating your fave pinned braid completely failed? Well if your strands are on the sleeker side, it could be because you haven’t got enough grip or texture in your mane to hold the look.
Again, a dry shampoo spray can give you all that and more, meaning you can create double tap-worthy looks all the time.
That’s all great but how do I use it?
To do it like a pro, shake it and use your fingers to loosely lift and section the hair, and spray focusing on the root area (aim it 6-10 inches away from your scalp).
Let the product sit there for a minute or two to allow the formula time to soak up all the oil and grime, before using your hands to massage it into your roots. Then if you’ve got any residue left, you can use a natural bristle brush to rake it out of your mane.
When you’re using it to style your mane or want to boost overall texture and volume, there’s no need to focus on your roots. Instead, flip your hair upside down and hold the can a few inches away before spraying the product all over.
Once you flip your hair back, you’ll be left with Brigitte Bardot-worthy tresses (yay!).
Psst… If you’re still struggling with nailing the technique, our dry shampoo spray step-by-step tutorial has got your back!
3 cult dry shampoos you should know about
1. TRESemmé Instant Refresh Translucent Dry Shampoo
Want to know why everyone is using the TRESemmé Instant Refresh Translucent Dry Shampoo? Because it feels weightless, smells gorgeous and is translucent, meaning it won’t leave any visible residue. Could this be the one for you?
2. TIGI Bed Head Oh Bee Hive! Dry Shampoo
Ready to take your hairstyle to the next level? This number from the cult TIGI hair brand is exactly what you need. Wondering why? It refreshes hair like a dream, all while providing your mane with the texture and grip needed to create amazing hairstyles.
So, the question is: are you ready to become a TIGI Bed Head Oh Bee Hive! Dry Shampoo devotee?
3. TONI&GUY Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo
Lightly spritz this baby on your roots pre-workout for fresher-looking, cool gym hair and you won’t need to worry about bad hair days ever again.
So, next time you hear someone ask “what is a dry shampoo spray?”, be sure to give them the answer! And for more beauty insights, skip on over to our Hair Products page, where you can discover which other must-have products we’re living for.