There are specific issues and challenges men face when it comes to hair: receding hairline, thinning hair, and hair loss, to name a few. If you’re one of the guys who are looking for a way to manage your hair and camouflage hair issues, keep reading. Today, we discuss hair straightening for men: an easy yet versatile way of styling.
We turn to our hair experts to give us tips on hair straightening for men, as well as a mini round-up on how to achieve different straight hairstyles.
Hair Straightening for Men: Should You Do It?
Perhaps you’re trying a new hairstyle or you’re just going for the sleek look. When it comes to styling, there are also only a few articles available on the web, and even fewer products engineered for men in the market. Perhaps it’s still the stigma to men spending too much time grooming or it’s just the fact that most men want to spend as little time styling as possible.
If you’re looking to change up your look, hair straightening for men is pretty much a quick solution. But hey, it sounds like an intimidating process, right? You must also be wondering if this can also be done by men (and it might hurt!), as most hair straighteners are marketed for women. The answer? No. Case in point: We see a lot of male celebrities who are doing this! Read on as we give you tips and techniques on how to recreate these hairstyles for men.
Hair Straightening for Men: Celebrity Inspirations
Ah, we all remember the iconic curly-haired Justin Timberlake. Nowadays, we see him sporting straight clean cut hair.
Park Bo Gum
Credit: Park Bo Gum’s Official Instagram Account (@parkb0gum)
This Korean star is known for his different hairstyles. If you’re a fan of his voluminous and bouncy hair, all it takes is a straightening iron and a light hair putty.
Lee Min Ho
Credit: Lee Min Ho’s Official Instagram Account (@actorleeminho)
We’re always inspired by Lee Min Ho’s versatile hairstyles!
We are all witnesses of how the One Direction member and now solo singer can pull off any hairstyle. His natural hair is curly but from time to time, he opts for a straight mane.
Hair Straightening for Men: Tips and Techniques
Look #1: Sleek and Straight
If you have naturally curly hair, then a hair straightener is your new best friend. We’ll teach you how to recreate this hairstyle.
- Make sure your hair is clean and soft, to make it easier for the straightener to glide through your curls. As you don’t want any hair fall while styling it, use a strengthening product like the Dove Men + Care Strengthening Shampoo.
- Make sure your hair is completely dry before you iron it! You can either use a blowdryer or let it dry naturally.
- Finish the look in a slicked-back style with the Axe Ice Chill Pomade. This is to keep your hairstyle in place.
Look #2: Straight and Shiny
- Blow-dry hair and use a straightener, making sure you don’t weigh your hair down too much.
- Use putty to add a light, relaxed texture. A great styling product is the VO5 Rough It Up Putty – it gives off that natural look and holds your mane into place. Remember: Use sparingly as a little product goes a long way!
Look #3: Parted Look
Going for this look takes hair straightening, too, especially if you have naturally textured hair. This is perfect for those with receding hairlines, too.
- If you have wavy hair, you can start by blow-drying your hair in one direction while tousling your hair while it dries.
- Straighten it, then blow-dry again.
- To style, work a small amount of medium-hold product like the VO5 Styling Wax through your hair.
Look #4: Smooth Waves
Even if you have wavy hair, you may use a straightening iron to keep frizz at bay. This style can give volume to thinning hair as the waves can create an illusion of fullness.
- Take a flat brush and blow-dry your hair.
- Straighten your curls with a flat iron. This time, don’t put too much pressure. If you don’t have time to straighten your hair or don’t want to hide your curls, it’s also fine. You can keep it as it is. Remember: You’re aiming for a textured wave!
- Once shaped, you would need to hold that hair into place. Sculpt and shape with the VO5 Rework Putty, focusing on the roots and ends.
Which Straight Hairstyle is Right for You?
Hair straightening is an underrated way to style men’s hair. As long as you have the confidence, go for it! It’s easy to experiment with different styles when you have a hair straightener and different hair products. Trust us: you’ll completely amp up your look in no time!