The crimped hair trend is making a runway-approved comeback and suddenly memories from our teeny-bopping days are flooding our 2018 mindset. In case you didn’t catch it, that’s us, saying we totally welcome the return of the zigzag hair! Maybe not the full head of root-to-tip crimp, but it’s worth incorporating a bit of this style in modern ‘dos we love.
It might be difficult finding a crimper these days, but if you’re suddenly itching to create this fun hairstyle, don’t worry, there are other ways to get the look. If you have a flat iron, you can use that to create well-defined crimps. If you don’t, that’s fine too, because all you need are your fingers and average braiding skills. For the detailed steps on how to give yourself a crimped hairstyle, with heat and without heat, keep reading!
2 Ways to create crimped hair: With heat and without
Using a flat iron
1. Wash hair with frizz-reducing shampoo and conditioner like TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Shampoo and TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Conditioner.
2. Dry hair and straighten using a flat iron.
3. Spray TONI&GUY Sea Salt Texturising Spray all over your hair.
4. Take small sections of hair that you want crimped. The smaller sections you work with, the more defined your crimps will be.
5. Start crimping. Clamp your straightener down on the first section. You can choose to start as close to the roots as possible or much lower. Once tightly clamped, twist the flat iron upwards while holding the hair down. Flip it upwards by 180° while gently tugging downward on the loose ends to create the curve. Count five seconds and release.
6. Place the flat iron just below the first curve and repeat the twisting motion: upwards-downards-upwards-downwards, until you reach the ends of your hair.
7. Do the same on all sections you want crimped.
8. Spray hair with TRESemmé Freeze Hold Hairspray to set your crimps and make them last longer.
Heatless styling: Overnight braids
1. Before you go to bed at night, wash your hair with TRESemmé Platinum Strength Shampoo and TRESemmé Platinum Strength Conditioner. You’ll be doing tight braids so your hair needs to be able endure all the tugging and twisting.
2. Wait until hair is about 70-80% and spray with TONI&GUY Sea Salt Texturising Spray to make crimping easier.
3. Start tightlybraiding small sections of hair from roots to the tips, securing the ends with an elastic.
4. Once you’ve finished braiding all sections you want crimped, spray everything with TRESemmé Freeze Hold Hairspray. Now you’re ready to go to sleep.
5. In the morning, remove the elastics and undo your braids. You should have now have beautifully crimped hair.
6. Lightly run your finger through your hair to loosen the curls a bit—never use a brush or you’ll lose the definition you waited overnight to achieve.
7. Style as desired, then give it one last spritz of hairspray and you’re good to go!
Crimped hair is one of those hairstyles that you can do with or without heat so if you’re diggin’ this ‘do, there’s no reason for you not to give it a try!