You’re watching your favorite K-Drama and you see your favorite actress with amazing hair, and you ask yourself why you cut or bleached your own hair during the lockdown. Achieving long and strong hair could be a challenge, especially for those who are experiencing hair loss and damage. In fact, you’ll hear numerous superstitions and even read tons of online articles about hair growth.
How to get strong hair? We round up twelve simple tips that would greatly help boost your hair growth.
Easy Hair Growth Tips for Pinays
1. You don’t need to shampoo every day.
While it feels great to wash off all the dirt and grease you had after a long day, sometimes it can also be bad for your hair. As you wash your locks, you also strip them off of their natural oils and nutrients, which they need to grow longer and stronger. If you spend all day out in the sun or sweating on your commute, go ahead and wash your hair at the end of a long day. But if you just stayed home, you might want to skip a wash. You can also wash your hair with just your conditioner.
Editor’s tip: Part of helping your hair grow is treating hair fall. Do it with Dove Hairfall Rescue 1 Minute Serum Conditioner. It is great for weak and falling hair because it is infused with serum capsules that penetrate hair to nourish and repair it from the inside.
2. Rinsing with hot water is a no-no.
You may find warm showers relaxing and therapeutic. But just like your heat-styling tools, hot water can also damage your hair and scalp. It can dry out your hair and scalp, which can result in hair loss or slow hair growth. To avoid this, wash your hair with cold water instead.
3. Egg is a good hair-growing mask.
4. Try natural strong hair remedies with ingredients you can find at home.
You can also try other natural ways to help stimulate hair growth. Here are au naturel solutions to treat hair loss and breakage:
- Essential oils are all the rage right now, so get that rosemary oil from your kit and add a few drops of it to your favorite shampoo! The Dove Nourishing Secrets Thickening Ritual Shampoo is a common choice, as it is also enriched with hair-thickening ingredients like lavender and rosemary.
- You’ve probably heard this a thousand times: use castor oil to make your lashes and brows thicker. But did you know that it can also be applied to achieve strong hair? This ingredient has antifungal and antibacterial properties to combat scalp infections that prevent hair from growing. Just warm a few drops of castor oil in the palm of your hand and work it into your scalp and all the way to the ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap and blast strands with a blow dryer for 15 minutes. Don’t forget to rinse with a shampoo and then hydrate hair with a conditioner! We can attest to the TRESemmé Detox & Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner to detoxify and nourish your hair.
- You can even use rice water because it is rich in vitamins and minerals that can nourish your hair and encourage hair growth.
5. Sleeping on silk pillows will help.
Coarse textures and surfaces can be harsh on your hair. Friction can cause damage like hair breakage and brittleness. Having this every day (or every night) could lead to hair loss. While it may hurt your pockets a little, you can enjoy some sweet slumber with peace in your heart knowing your hair can freely grow on your silk pillows.
6. Eat your fruits and veggies.
Aside from proteins, it is also best to fill your diet with food rich in vitamins and minerals. They do wonders on your skin, nails, and hair, so go for fruits instead of chips when you’re in the mood for some snacks.
Editor’s tip: If you’re looking for the best shampoo for faster hair growth, try Sunsilk Strong & Long Shampoo. It has Biotin and other nutrients you need to grow your hair stronger and longer.
7. Give your hair a break from chemical treatments.
Rebonding, hair coloring, and bleaching can dry out and damage hair, which can lead to more breakage in the long run. Trimming split ends can prevent further damage to the hair shaft, but it won’t do much if you will continue exposing your hair to so much stress. Stay away from chemical treatments while growing out your hair, or at the very least, give a six-month interval between each treatment.
Hair growth is not a mystery that’s difficult to solve. Funny enough, sometimes the solutions are just in the simple things we do or use. We hope these facts will help you find your way to your healthier, fuller hair!
8. Avoid heat styling as much as possible.
If you already have damaged hair, heat styling is something you must avoid as doing so can cook your hair strands–something you don’t want when you’re trying to grow strong hair. If you can’t avoid using a hair straightening iron or a curling wand, adjust it to the lowest temperature setting.
Editor’s tip: If you really must use your trusty hairdryer, then we recommend using a heat protectant prior to heat styling to seal strands and reduce damage, like the VO5 Heat Protect Spray. This weightless protection spray offers up to 230°C heat defense to keep a healthy and strong hair.
9. Stimulate your roots with a relaxing scalp massage.
More often than not, we always focus on the ends of our hair. A healthy scalp is the foundation for strong hair so those who are wondering how to make hair roots strong should give them extra TLC, like a relaxing scalp massage before sleeping. This promotes a healthier blood flow to the scalp, promoting hair growth and strengthening the roots–there’s a reason why every hairstylist does this after a haircut! Don’t forget to light up your favorite candle for extra relaxation. *wink*
10. Say no to stress!
Stress-induced hair loss is not a myth. Try to meditate in the morning or do breathing exercises whenever you’re feeling anxious.
Editor’s Tip: If you’re noticing an unusual number of hair strands on your pillowcase or bathroom floor, try to use a hair fall solution like the Cream Silk Hairfall Defense Conditioner after shampooing. Also nice: it minimizes hair breakage!
11. Have a regular hair trim.
Although this might sound like a superstition that adults used to say when we were younger and as opposed to what we said in Tip #7, trimming your hair actually promotes hair growth. Those who have problems with split ends better get regular trims as these worsen as your hair grows longer. Get ready to see a difference after every salon visit!
Editor’s Tip: Split-ends are synonymous with extreme hair damage. Use a repairing mask after every shampoo to revive your hair. Reverse hair damage with the VitaKeratin Deep Repair, a restorative product featuring ingredients like salon-quality keratin and argan oil that give daily nourishment to your mane.
12. Choose products that have ingredients that can help you achieve strong hair and fight hair loss.
When shopping for hair products, always treat it like cooking–don’t forget to check the ingredients. It’s important to note the key components of your product if you want to have strong hair. Ingredients like keratin and biotin can strengthen hair–so take note of these!
Say Hello to Strong Hair!
There are factors that affect hair growth, but the two main contributors are hair damage and hair loss so these are what you should prevent. Don’t forget that addressing the cause is just as important as finding the hair solution–if you have split ends, aim to make hair stronger; if you’re experiencing hair loss, avoid stress, and so on. Just be patient and follow the tips mentioned above for healthier, stronger hair, and say hello to your dream tresses in a few weeks!