Have you tried using rice water for your hair? Although it is yet to be proven by more scientific studies, rice water has been used as an alternative hair treatment because it is rich in amino acids, B vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Historical research shows that women in the Heian period in Japan brushed their hair with rice water. Also, women in Hang Luo village in China cut their hair only once in their lives, and they use rice water to keep their hair long, beautiful, and black.
If you want to try this natural hair treatment, here are the benefits that your mane can thank you for.
Why You Should Try Rice Water for Hair
1. Rice water helps improve hair growth.
If you’re dealing with hair loss, rice water treatment is a great natural remedy. It contains amino acids and Vitamins B, C, and D that help in regenerating hair and in stimulating growth.
Editor’s tip: Treat falling hair by using Dove Hair Fall Rescue Keratin Tri-Silk Serum Shampoo. It has the combined power of keratin, fiber actives, and serum ingredients that instantly repair damage, deeply nourish and protect your hair, and leave it extra beautiful. This shampoo also has DynaZinc Complex that helps in fortifying your hair fibers to give you extra strong, resilient, and healthy hair.
2. It reduces split ends.
If you have split ends, it means your hair is already showing signs of damage. Using rice water for hair can help treat split ends because this natural remedy is rich in proteins that can help repair your damaged hair.
3. It helps in repairing and preventing hair damage.
Rice water has carbohydrate content called inositol that can improve your hair’s elasticity and reduce surface friction. This can help prevent damage and breakage.
Editor’s tip: Complete your hair repair essentials by adding Dove Keratin Repair 1 Minute Serum Conditioner to the mix. It has keratin-infused serum capsules that penetrate your hair strands to repair damage from within. With regular use, it leaves your hair recovered, resilient, and beautiful in just one minute.
4. It helps make your hair soft.
After shampooing, it’s always good to condition your hair to make it smooth and soft. Adding rice water to your hair care regimen can complement your daily conditioning because this natural remedy is rich in Vitamins A and C and phenolic and flavonoid compounds that improve your hair’s texture and volume.
Editor’s tip: Take care of your hair while giving the planet some love by using Love Beauty and Planet Sea Salt & Bergamot Deep Restore Conditioner. It has ethically sourced ingredients like sea salt for gentle exfoliation and bergamot for fragrance. Aside from that, this conditioner helps keep your hair nourished, balanced, and healthy.
How to Use Rice Water for Hair
Ready to use rice water for hair? Here are the super-easy steps for preparing this natural hair remedy.
- a cup of rice
- a cup of water
1. Start by washing the rice with tap water to remove impurities. This ensures that dust and dirt are removed. You can use a strainer when washing the rice.
2. After draining, put the rice in a bowl, add water, and stir them together. Continue mixing until the water becomes cloudy, preferably for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the rice and keep the water in a covered plastic container.
4. Let the rice water sit at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours to let the vitamins and minerals come out. Do not let it sit over 24 hours because it can make the rice water go bad.
5. After shampooing, apply the rice water as a conditioner, massaging it gently all over your scalp. Leave it on for 20 minutes for best results.
6. Rinse your hair thoroughly with clean water afterwards.
Rice Water for Hair: The Verdict
Indeed, rice is a staple in Pinoy meals, but there is so much more to this table mainstay than just the nutrition it brings. Now, you know how to use rice water to pamper your hair and help make it healthy and beautiful.