Rice is a staple in Pinoy meals, but there is so much more to this table mainstay than just the nutrition it brings. Although it is yet to be proven by more scientific studies, rice water has been used as an alternative hair treatment because it is rich in amino acids, B vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Historical research shows that women in the Heian period in Japan brushed their hair with rice water. Also, women in Hang Luo village in China cut their hair only once in their lives, and they use rice water to keep their hair long, beautiful, and black.
If you want to try rice water for your hair, here are the benefits that your mane can thank you for.
Why You Should Try Rice Water for Hair
1. It helps improve hair growth
If you suffer from hair loss and don’t want to use commercial hair growth products, rice water treatment is a great solution. It contains amino acids and Vitamins B, C, and D that help regenerate hair and stimulate growth.
Editor’s tip: Minimize falling hair by using Dove Hairfall Rescue Shampoo which helps make your strands stronger.
2. It reduces split ends
Nobody likes to see split ends on their hair. And if you’re looking for a way to treat this hair problem, try rice water. It is rich in proteins that can help repair your damaged hair.
3. It acts as a great conditioner
After shampooing, it’s always good to apply conditioner for softer and smoother hair. Rice water can be also be an eco-friendly alternative to your regular conditioner. It is rich Vitamins A and C and phenolic and flavonoid compounds that improve your hair’s texture and volume.
4. It keeps hair from getting damaged
Rice water has carbohydrate content called inositol that can improve your hair’s elasticity and reduce surface friction. This can help prevent damage and breakage.
Editor’s tip: Shampoo your hair with TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Shampoo which is infused with keratin to calm frizz and detangle your hair.
How to Use Rice Water for Hair
Aren’t we all glad that rice water treatment is becoming more popular and widely accepted as an eco-friendly hair care treatment? Here are the super-easy steps for preparing rice water for your hair at home.
- a cup of rice
- a cup of water
1. Start by washing the rice with tap water to remove impurities. This ensures that dust and dirt are removed. You can use a strainer when washing the rice.
2. After draining, put the rice in a bowl, add water, and stir them together. Continue mixing until the water becomes cloudy, preferably for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the rice and keep the water in a covered plastic container.
4. Let the rice water sit at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours to let the vitamins and minerals come out. Do not let it sit over 24 hours because it can make the rice water go bad.
5. After shampooing, apply the rice water as a conditioner, massaging it gently all over your scalp. Leave it on for 20 minutes for best results.
6. Rinse your hair thoroughly with clean water afterwards.
Rice Water for Hair: The Verdict
You see? Pampering your hair doesn’t have to be expensive. You can even do it right in the comfort of your home using the very household items you have every day. Plus, it’s natural, which makes it an excellent eco-friendly way to make your hair healthy.