Oatmeal is a popular healthy breakfast because it is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. But did you know that oatmeal is also good for your hair? The same nutrients in oatmeal that make your body healthy also nourish your hair. You can even make your DIY oatmeal hair mask at home. Read on to find out its benefits and how to use oatmeal for hair.
Benefits of Oatmeal for Hair
1. It prevents hair fall and improves hair growth
Believe it or not, oatmeal can help prevent hair fall. Thanks to its rich fiber content, your scalp receives the right amount of nutrition to grow a healthy set of hair. Its exfoliating properties also unclog pores and facilitate hair growth. Using it as a hair mask can help thicken your hair.
Editor’s tip: Style your hair any way you want without fear of hair fall by using Cream Silk Hairfall Defense Conditioner. It reduces hair fall by 98% from the first wash.
2. It prevents split ends
Split ends can lead to more serious hair damage, that’s why it’s important to treat them as soon as you can. If you don’t want to use commercial products for treating split ends, oatmeal for hair makes a great eco-friendly choice. It has vitamins and minerals that nourish and hydrate your hair to make them grow healthy from roots to tips.
3. It helps treat dandruff
Oatmeal is rich in lipids and proteins that moisturize your scalp to help prevent dandruff. It has saponin, which is a great cleanser that removes dandruff flakes and gives you a fresher scalp.
4. It soothes dry and itchy scalp
Looking for a natural remedy for your dry and itchy scalp? Try oatmeal. It has B vitamins that act as humectants, which help prevent moisture loss. Its anti-inflammatory properties also reduce itchiness and prevent scalp irritation.
How to Make an Oatmeal DIY Hair Mask
Whenever you prepare oatmeal for breakfast, save some of it for your hair and make your own oatmeal hair mask once to twice a week. Use it regularly and you’ll start to notice your hair getting smoother, shinier, and healthier.
- 3 tablespoons of plain oats
- ½ cup f milk
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- One tablespoon of honey
1. Place the milk in a bowl and add the oats to it. Mix them well together until it turns into a smooth paste.
2. Add the honey into the paste and mix them together using a spoon or ladle. You can also use a hand blender when mixing the ingredients.
3. Add the coconut oil and stir the mix thoroughly.
4. Place the mixture in a container and use a brush to apply it to your dry hair. Massaging your hair and scalp for a few minutes after applying the oatmeal hair mask.
5. Let the hair mask sit on your hair for 30 minutes before rinsing it with lukewarm water. Make sure that you remove all hair mask residue. Then, shampoo your hair as usual and let your hair dry naturally.
Editor’s tip: If you’re using an oatmeal hair mask to relieve itchy scalp, follow it up with Dove Dermacare Scalp Soothing Moisture Shampoo. It’s a great remedy for itchy scalp and dandruff sans the dryness that’s often caused by other anti-dandruff shampoos.
Next time you find some extra oatmeal lying around in your pantry, why don’t you make your own hair mask? With the benefits of oatmeal for hair, it’s definitely worth including in your hair care regimen.